The Internet has brought media to a global audience. The interactive nature of Internet marketing in terms of providing instant response and eliciting responses, is a unique quality of the medium. Internet marketing is sometimes considered to have a broader scope because it not only refers to the Internet, e-mail, and wireless media, but it includes management of digital customer data and electronic customer relationship management (ECRM) systems.
Internet marketing ties together creative and technical aspects of the Internet, including: design, development, advertising, and sales.
Internet marketing is associated with several business models:
• e-commerce - this is where goods are sold directly to consumers (B2C) or businesses (B2B)
• Publishing - this is the sale of advertising
• lead-based websites - this is an organisation that generates value by acquiring sales leads from its website
• affiliate marketing - this is process in which a product or service developed by one person is sold by other
• active seller for a share of profits. The owner of the product normally provide some marketing material
• (sales letter, affiliate link, tracking facility).
There are many other business models based on the specific needs of each person or the business that launches an Internet marketing campaign.